Wednesday 16 January 2008

No More Rain

It was a better day today and no more rain has bucketed from the sky - phew! No more water in the garden or garage, the boiler is working and we have hot water and heating - hooray! We're forecast more rain for the next four days but Paul has hopefully come up with a solution in the guise of a water pump. Apparently it could pump our oil tank dry in an hour and that's going some, so fingers crossed it will work for the flooding too. He's put it at the lowest point in the garden so we won't have to watch the grass disappear underwater before it starts to escape out of the back gate. And it has a float (which means absolutely nothing to me!) but supposedly it will switch itself on automatically. So a good nights sleep will entail should the heavens open while I'm snoring.

If you're wondering why we get this flooding, it's partly to do with climate change and the fact we live in the country surrounded by fields. Plus we live half way down a hill, not massive, infact it's hardly noticable but enough that we can't cope with the amount of surface water when it does rains. We don't have curbs and proper road drainage, instead we have muddy banks and ditches. The ditches are full to the brim and overflow into our neighbours property and in turn into ours. As we have a walled garden, we're basically like a sink and our back gate is the only point of escape, a.k.a. the plughole, and it comes into the garden alot quicker than we can get it out.

It's not a new thing this flooding it's just something that's getting worse each year. Last year was the first time it arrived in the garage just a little bit but, this year it's been twice and both times it's been several inches. All part of living in the country - as my neighbour put it and they've been here over ten years!

On a brighter note.... I'm off to the 'You Can Make It' Show at Farnborough on Friday. This will be my third year and ooo how I love going there. A pure self indulgent day stroking and buying yummy stash - can't wait!!! I'm not after anything imparticular, although I said that last year and came home with a Cricut, but I mustn't spend too much. I've got way too much already.

Nothing to share on the scrapping front today as I've been doing some commission work. I should be back to normal next week and hope to share a little project I've got in mind using some acetate.

Sleep well.

1 comment:

Saxo Stamper said...

Hi Jo

Glad to hear the water situation is nearly under control - horrendous for you!

Enjoy the show.